So Tate has been working on his reading lately. He has been able to sound out letters and words for a while now, and we keep working on getting better. He reads us a book each night before he goes to bed and does a great job. Sounds wonderful, right? Well the hard part is that almost every time I ask him to do this, he flips and flops and groans and whines and. . .well just about anything to get out of doing it. I don't understand this, he is good at it, I always try to make it a positive and fun activity, and he gets regular encouragement. Nothing seems to change. It is so frustrating on many levels, but mostly that I'm a teacher, for crying out loud, can't I teach my own child?
So the other day, after he's started his little song and dance, we had the following conversation:
Me: "Tate, do you want to be able to drive a car?"
Tate (who immediately straightens up and listens intently to what I am saying): "Yes!"
Me: "Well if you don't learn how to read, and practice your reading and get very good at it, you will not be able to drive. You need to read to be able to know where you are going by reading signs and maps."
Tate (very thoughtful now): "Oh! When I learn how to read I can drive a car?"
Me: "Yes!" (so happy that we may now have a break through)
We then go on to him helping me read a story he had brought down. That night before bed I asked him to read me a story. He read the story (Here I am, patting myself on the back, thinking this is great! No whining!). He gets done with the story, looks up at me and says, "Can I drive the car now?"
Now that is the question that I get after every story he reads. At least the bribery worked.
I'll admit the whole whining/complaining about the reading/homework situation (it's not like the homework is that serious! I don't even sit him down anywhere unless he has to write and I try to make it fun. Anyway. . .) has gotten me depressed. I have come to the realization that I am not a great teacher. An ok one, maybe even a good one, but a great one? No. This made me down, even more than I even realized probably. Then on top of that we never had dinner with the Stellers. I mean, we do that every week and have for probably two years now? The point being there seemed nothing to look forward to and on any normal week this wouldn't have affected me as much but this week, already being depressed, this missing element to the week did not help. So on Thursday, to help bring my spirits up, I baked oooey, gooey, cinnamon rolls. They had so much yummy butter, sugar and cinnamon it was oozing out the sides. They were delicious. That made me feel much better. Then that night Valerie had a Pampered Chef party and I so enjoyed that, but as I was driving Holley home from the party she said I still wasn't myself. (I really thought I was better, not normal, but better) And then Holley made me cry. You heard me. She is mean and made me cry!!!
I told her repeatedly that I do NOT want to cry. I hate crying. I reserve crying for sad movies, pregnancy and late at night when everyone else is asleep and no one can see me. I did not want to cry! But she kept going on and on about how she thinks I need to cry, and that it would be good for me, and that she wanted me back to normal, etc. Pffffffft!!! Whatever! The heart of it is, she made me cry. Nothing like a good therapy Thursday.
Now onto the other fun stuff. What is it, you may ask? I don't even really know. This past week has not been the best, but not the worst either. On that same therapy Thursday I had to take Ayden into the doctor to find out she had ear infections in both ears. That was fun.
My kids are extremely tired from not getting enough sleep, as am I. I stay awake until at some unreasonable hour and then I fall asleep, so that I'm nice and tired when the kids wake up.
Then the other day my husband said the oddest thing. (well to me it was odd anyway) My mother-in-law was telling me how she thought it was great that I take time for myself, and I was thinking 'Yeah, I do take time for myself. Probably too much'. Then I look over at Andy and he is telling his mom, "Amber doesn't take much time for herself at all." Then he looks at me and says the same thing.
What? Sometimes all I feel like I do anymore is run around to go to little things for myself. Swimming, spin class, little get togethers here and there, etc. I thought Andy was going to see it the same way I did, but interestingly enough, he didn't. I had no idea.
On the positive side, Andy and I did get to go out for the day on Friday while Holley and James took our kids. We had a great time shopping. We tried to go to a movie but it was sold out, so we had this wonderful meal at the Old Town Grainery. Oh yum. I had filet mignon filled canneloni with a tomato cream sauce. It was melt in your mouth good. Then on Sunday, my mother-in-law came up to watch the kids so that we could go to that movie we missed. It was great. I am so thankful to Holley and James and my MIL!
On Saturday we took Grant with us down to my uncle's birthday party. I think I counted around 18 kids running around, while we talked to family. My kids (this includes Grant. In fact my family just started calling him our third child) started learning which aunts and uncles would give them more punch or extra hershey kisses when we weren't looking.
Thankfully I found the upside to this week! I was getting worried there that it was going to be all doom and gloom. So here is to a better week, and getting all my tax preparation done and to the accountant!! Woohoo!
Blogging Much!?!
10 years ago



11 comments:
All I am going to say to defend myself is that everyone needs a good cry every once in awhile. Last week was your once in awhile! You needed it and I won't hear any thoughts to the contrary! ;-)
Sounds like you could use a nice vacation... Hey, about the reading thing, Calvin doesn't even know all his letters yet. Know why? He would much rather do ANYTHING than sit down at a table and learn letters. This frustrated me too at first, but he will learn it in his own time. I just try to do "learning" activities that involve things he's interested in - like space and dinosaurs. If Tate's not interested, don't push it and one day he'll come around. It's in no way related to your abilities as a teacher - you can't think like that. And Holley's right - everyone needs a good cry now and then. You're lucky to have a great friend to let you have that cry!
You're right, I should just be happy at where he is at! It is amazing what these boys are doing right now! Good perspective.
I'm sorry you had such a down week! Thanks for sharing with us and I hope you are feeling better.
I am amazed that Tate is reading so well already! That means you must be a great teacher Amber. I'm right there with Steph, I can't get Ethan to sit down for any activities he's not interested in and, for now, that includes letters, writing, and numbers! What else is there to teach a 3 year old??
I think it's GREAT that you take time for yourself, I have been told by nearly everyone that I don't take enough for me. You are so lucky to have so much support around you to help and don't you dare feel guilty about taking advantage of it!!
Oh, and I totally understand about staying up too late for no good reason and being tired the next day. I can never seem to get into bed before 11pm...
Miss you all and I'm still trying not to think about that trip in April I'm going to miss...
This is good to hear that the other kids, like Tate, aren't into sitting down and doing anything. I think that because I was feeling down in the first place I let this non-issue become the issue du jour. Whereas I normally let his flip-flopping go without much comment it had to be the one thing that I gad to get 'control' of because when I feel down, everything feels out of control. I can't tell you how much I love having you all here even when you are far away! (Even though you made me cry Holly, I'm so glad you're here so that I can cry all over the place:)
We are so going to miss you in April, Leah!
It's so funny that you wrote this post last night because this morning before I went to work I was watching Good Morning America and there was a speaker interviewing all kinds of women and telling them they need more time to themselves and learn to say no. She went on to say that we (women) are the only ones that are going to take care of us and we need to take care of ourselves so we will be around a long, long time for our children and be able to take care of them and our husbands. What's cool is you are REALLY taking care of yourself by exercising and spinning. I just sit around and get fatter.
I have only been around you and your family about a dozen times but I am very impressed at what a great teacher and mother you are. Your children are very advanced for their age.They are also well behaved. Give yourself more credit.
Glad you got to enjoy a nice nite out with hubby and an extra day at the movies. I am so glad you have such a good friend, Holley to help you through the tough times.
Isn't it funny how kids are so smart to find the right connections for that extra sugar at your uncle's party.
My mouth is still watering from your cinnamon roll story. I've been thinking of you alot lately. I'm hungry for that chicken casserole; you got Tracy & me hooked on.
I knew Tate was going to say that after he read his book. Just think only 10 more years and he will be driving. Doesn't seem possible?!?!
Have a wonderful party weekend. I'll be thinking of you and wishing I was there.
Amber, I'm sorry you were feeling down. I'm suppose to be the one depressed with nothing to look forward to during the month of February after my birthday party plans are over. I guess I should have been the one calling and checking on you. I'm glad you let it all out and have had better days now. Wish I could have been there to help cheer you up.
You are still going to TX right? I'm a little worried now that you say you feel like you are doing a lot for yourself.
You are A GREAT teacher! Are you kidding me? Your kids have the BEST social & self help skills! You need to give yourself a lot more credit! You are consistant and so incredibly patient. Whenever I'm around you I feel more patient with my kids because I see your great example. And Tate may not sit still and do his work willingly, but he does enjoy crafts which is something I wish Mikie would learn to like. You're doing the right thing by letting him have fun with his learning activities but still being held acountable for completing his work.
Enjoy your 2 year old and post pictures of her party soon.
Forgot to mention that Mikie gets a piece of candy after he completes his activity/worksheet (blush). I started it around Halloween when we had so much candy and he was asking for a piece right after breakfast. I told him that he could have one after we did our worksheets, not to bribe him into completing his work, but rather to delay the "gimmies". So now, sometimes (well....a lot of the times) he finishes his work and asks "Can I have a piece of candy?" Of course, we STILL have that halloween candy so my answer is usually (alright...it's always) yes! But hey, at least he's not asking to drive the car :) LOL!
First of all, OMG, I am behind on my blogging, because I would have been the first to say...whatchatalkinaboutamber! Your a wonderful teacher and your kids are so brilliant....oh crap, Hudson is crying and grabbing my leg, I have to finish this later...
Ok, children are bathed and zombies in front of the TV (aren't u already feeling like a better Mommy). Anyway, a wise man (my husband) once said to me "you are not his teacher, you are his mother, and that is a much bigger job than drilling him on his ABC's" This said to me after another reading lesson where Gunner sounded out the first couple words perfectly... and then proceeded to make up answers because he just wasn't interested anymore. His handwriting practice goes about the same way. (by the way, I am now feeling much better thanks to Steph & Leah, because I was ready to have Gunner diagnosed ADD b-4 my hubby talked me down from the ledge).
Now, I don't for a second think we shouldn't keep practicing with them, but if they are done in 5 minutes, then that is 5 minutes more than a lot of other kids are getting..it teaches them that learning is something to value and can be fun, and most importantly that we love and adore them whether they are the best reader or the slowest..and I know you are the best Mom at making your kids feel loved and adored. My wise husband also said "you learned that being happy isn't about how much money you made (referring to being in NYC, doing well but not fulfilled), so if he isn't the brightest and most successful kid you know, but he learns that things like faith, positive self image and surrounding yourself by love, family and friendship is most important, then you taught him to be happy, and that is everything."
You teach your kids how to be joyful every single day, show them a good marriage and wonderful friendships...you ARE already a wonderful teacher...ok, sorry I went on for so long....but one more thing...everyone DOES need a good cry (even if I will deny to the death that I ever do so).
Amber, you are a great mother and an awesome teacher. I can not believe Tate already knows how to read! That is incredible to me. My boys won't even still long enough for me to teach them. Malcolm is more willing now but he's 5 and doesn't know how to read one word. He does know a lot of the sounds the alphabet makes, wants to know how to read, but I don't know how to teach him. Quinn on the other hand is 3 1/2 and knows only a few letters in the alphabet. He is not interested to sit still. I think you need to give some advise to me! I have no clue how to teach my kids things myself, and I've always wanted to! I'm very very impressed! You're awesome!
I'm glad I'm not the only one who has down days/weeks! I have them more then I'd like to admit. I can totally relate to things not usually bothering you, but when you're feeling down, they nag at you like nothing else! I always like a good cry and sometimes just like to watch a sad movie to give me the excuse! Hope you're feeling better! I think you are awesome!
Post a Comment