Profile for amdywyman

Monday, April 13, 2009

3rd Annual Wyman Easter Egg Hunt and Brunch

I can hardly believe that this is the third year we are having this egg hunt. The first year, I had a one month old, Steph was pregnant with Luke, and Lynn spent all her energy keeping Jack out of our pond. Last year was a bit quieter with a little bit older kids, no Steph and Lynn trying to keep Jack out of our pond.

This year the kids are so big, and they are fast egg hunters. We had a ridiculous number of eggs (something like 70) for about 4 or 5 kids! I think we quickly realized that next year we may have to have more eggs.

Coloring eggs:


We made our own egg dies this year with vinegar, hot water and food coloring. They turned out great!
The finished eggs.
This is the difference in messiness between my youngest. . .
and oldest. You would think it had everything to do with age, but mostly I've damaged my son into thinking that dirty is bad and he isn't the best at getting very messy.
Showing off what they got in their Easter baskets.
This year I hid the baskets and the kids had to find them when they came downstairs. They had a great time doing it.
Ayden is showing off her new horse.

Of course I had to show the food!!
Cake pops. (Here is how fabulous they should look) I did not do a great job of making these, I have come to realize that I am not a decorating person. They tasted great (I seem to do that pretty well), but decorating and making them look pretty? Not so much. (They look fairly decent here, but let me tell you a LOT of flaws are hidden by the camera)
Above are bunnies and chicks and below are eggs.

Cake pops were enjoyed by all!


No bake cookie nests.
Chocolate pretzel/peanut butter sandwiches.
This is Dove bread that Holley and James made and it was delicious!
The best shot of the kids that I could find. Almost all of them are looking.
And the hunt is on! Here is Sarah Beth searching the grounds.
Ayden is successful!
Tate found some too!

Sarah Beth felt it was important to take time out of egg hunting to check out what was rattling around in one of her eggs. She was very happy to find out that it wasn't rocks, but candy!

Grant is still in training at his parents own "Egg Hunting: Search and Destroy" school, so he was the top egg hunter. He's number one at the school too.


Much to his parent's horror, Grant is pointing out the secret tricks of the trade from his egg hunting school to Tate. They tried to tell him that, like Bush's Baked Beans, the secret must be kept forever within the family.


He gave this cutie smile and convinced them that he wouldn't tell anymore secrets.Little did they know that he wouldn't be stopped. . .




This is toward the end of the hunt, and James and the kids were searching the grounds for any forgotten eggs. Seriously, the kids found the eggs in no time.

We actually managed to get a picture of the moms this year. Amazing!

Enjoying their baskets.

So after the egg hunting and brunch the kids went outside to play. Valerie, Holley, Sarah and I were talking in the dining room when we heard a burst of laughter from the kitchen/living room area. The adults in the other room were watching the kids outside and saw when Grant took a bucket full of water (pond water, I might add) and dumped it over his head. Now, while it was a decent day, it was by no means warm. In the 40's, with a slight chill in the air. And Grant dumped water over his head not once, but twice. He thought it was hilarious and would have continued playing outside (soaking wet) but he got the call from mom and knew she wasn't a happy camper (although she did an amazing job of not laughing, while all of the rest of us could barely contain ourselves). The look from him when he realizes that this isn't going to end well.
Getting dried off by mom.
There always seems to be an issue with the pond! Every year! Now that Jack is down in Corpus it seems that Grant has taken up the call. I wonder what will happen next year??

6 comments:

Tracy said...

LOL! the look on Grant's face is priceless. I'm so glad you captured that on film. Didn't Holley just post about him "keeping her on her toes"? :)

Ayden is adorable in her dress and pig tails (Boagie, i only said that because she didn't pull her entire hair into pig tails.)(I knew that when my mom read this she would quickly point out that I don't really care for the Pippy LongStockings look too much)

I like your tradition of hiding the Easter Baskets...very clever! Your cakepops looked awesome! Are you going to make dinoeggs for Tate's party so we can try them? You must have used fondant right? Very cute!!!!

Carrie said...

Fantastic pic of Grant...LOL...pond water! It looks like everyone had a blast and I loved the cake pops...you are such a creative cook. The peanut butter pretzels looked great too, and something I might actually be capable of!

Holley said...

Another fantastic Easter party! Although we may have to move the egg hunt to our back 5 acres if the kids continue to improve at their egg hunting skills. I think James mentioned something about a shovel and a ladder for next year????

Boagie (Janice) said...

What an awesome Easter party. Grant's pic was priceless. Boys will be boys. Glad he took over Jack's tradition with the pond.(ha,ha) Ayden is adorbale in her little dress and pig tails.

The feed looked delicious. The cake pops were cute. (you do not give yourself enough credit.)Could I have the recipe for the pretzel sandwiches and ask Holley if I could have the bread recipe also, please?

Holley said...

Here is where I found the recipe for the bread.
http://www.littlehouseinthesuburbs.com/2009/04/columba-di-pasqua.html
It really was fabulously tasty. It even kept good for a week of munching on it!

I am very scared for Grant as a teenager. I keep trying to get Tate and Ayden to tell on him so I can keep tabs on him at all times!

Steph said...

Grant was always unnaturally good at finding eggs, wasn't he? Well, I guess all the training could have something to do with it. I can only imagine Holley trying not to laugh as Grant gave her that water logged look of innocence... All your food pics made me hungry. Looks like another great Easter.