The other day my daughter stood at the table and said, "Where did the see-at go, mommy?"
Me: "The what?"
Her (enunciating, slowly, like I was mentally challenged): "The see-at."
Me: "Umm. I'm not sure what you are talking about."
Her (in a somewhat disgusted look for her dimwit mother): "See-at. See-at"
Me: "Ummm. Uhh. Umm." (clearly stalling here so I don't seem even more stupid)
Her: "There it is, mommy! The see-at!"
I look outside and sure enough, there it was. Our neighbor's cat that apparently had gone missing just a few minutes before.
My daughter is officially a 'do it herself' kid. She is always saying "me do it" and insisting (very FIRMLY insisting) that she, and she alone, do whatever activity she wants. For example: brushing her hair (not usually a problem unless she insists after I have fixed her hair into pony tails), put her socks on, take her socks off (yes, she STILL takes her socks off, all the time. It's become like hide and seek to find missing pairs of socks around my house), and getting dressed, to name a few.
This morning she insisted that she put on her pants by herself. In the midst of these things she will ask for help but when I try to help her she squeals and says, "No! Me do it!" So I left her to her dressing and sure enough, she did it, and she did it standing up too. One leg at a time into the pants. I still am amazed. It must be having an older brother and being a girl? The only time it becomes a real problem is when she doesn't like what I've picked out for her to wear for the day. She will fight tooth and nail to pick out what she wants to wear, which usually is just socks and pajamas. So I have to distract her with other things, such as where we are going today or tickling her until she forgets so that I can get her proper clothes on her.
She just yesterday, really went potty in the toilet for the first time since we were in Virginia. She did so well, and then I gave her a 'special treat' for going in the potty. Yep, I bribed her. What can I say?! I'm so tired of diapers! She did again today and got a special treat. I'm hoping this will be the push for her to start going in the toilet. I'm trying to only do it when she tells me, not running her to the toilet every 15 minutes. I need my sanity after all!
Blogging Much!?!
10 years ago



3 comments:
Love "see-at"...they do look at us like we are completly dense when we don't understand them, don't they?! Glad to know you are getting the "Me do it", I like to know someone is sharing my pain (Hudson can't even say me do it, so he just whines or cries!)...second child syndrome, it starts earlier I swear!
Fantastic using the potty...way to go Ayden..hip hip hooray for the end of diapers, I will keep my fingers crossed!
Might as well just teach her to spell "cat" since she has the first letter already "See-A-T" Wouldn't that be cute from a 2 year old?! I'm not surprised your child wants to do it herself......isn't that YOUR motto? ("Miss I can put anything together"...aka...swing sets.....and out of the blue start competing in Tri's...among many other indepent things you do) I mean, the girl has to keep up with "Amazing Amber" (that's your new title...like it?) Seriously, Tate has always impressed me with his "self help" skills. Mikie is just finally attempting to put on his own shirt just this week and that is only because I'm forcing him to do it. You are a great mother for having the patience to let her get herself dressed. I'm anxious to see what skills you can teach mine in the short week we will be there. Perhaps you can get Mikie to use a tissue or remember to wash his hands after going potty. Yes, gross I know...I need help!
Potty treats? You didn't elaborate...stickers or candy maybe? extra TV time? a new pair of shoes? I'm curious....what's the special treat she's getting?
Thanks for posting this, I had forgotten that Mikie used to get mini m&m's. That won't work on Zach though because he hates chocolate.
I think Zach & Ayden were destined for each other because he still takes his socks off too. Almost everytime we are in the car for more than 15 minutes (and sometimes as little as 3 mins).
I agree with Tracy on the AMAZING AMBER title. You are quite the woman, wife, mommy, friend, daughter etc. (the list could go on). It's wonderful the patience level you have. Keep up the good work.
Oh,how I remember those days of not being able to understand. Trisha would repeat about 3 times, then she would just say "forget it then."
Good Girl Ayden going potty like a Big Girl. Mommy will have to find some pretty panties for you with horsies on them.
Post a Comment