Our Whidbey Island Playgroup met when we all enrolled our little ones (not so little anymore!) in the local swimming class. To make a connection with one other mom is amazing, but to make a connection with all of the moms in the group is unheard of! We have managed to stay in touch through blogs and calls and visits, and we managed to sneak away, sans little ones, for a long weekend starting April 2. As a lot of our group are military moms, we are now spread around the country (luckily everyone is still IN the country), so we met down in Corpus Christi where Lynn and Steph live. Thanks to Lynn and Steph for all the ground work: airport pick-ups, food, travel, car availability, etc.
We got to the hotel and the wine was opened! I was just happy to get off of the stupid airplane after landing amidst a wind storm. Did I mention that flying and me don't really go together? I should have been holding this wine glass but since I don't drink I was the designated driver for the weekend for all of the winos, er, I mean moms. ;)

The next day we headed out to have lunch in Port Aransas. I had to show this adorable picture of Tracy and Jack. Just too cute!

All of us enjoying our lunch by the water.

I find it hilarious that we are away from the kids but we took pictures with all the sharks around.

Aren't these sharks great? These are the openings to souvenier shops. Nice draw, huh?

This is another souvenier shop opening. So creative!


The local art gathering was showing Island Women. A good fit for us.

Dinner that night. We still aren't sure of the name of the restaurant. There was one name on the outside of the building and another on the door and our receipts. What were the names anyway? (Sad that I can't remember and I wasn't even drinking that night!)

Some wanted to go dancing, (at the encouragement of a few Long Island Iced Teas, I might add), but for lack of places to go we headed back to the hotel.

Yep, we had to keep an eye out for this one. She's a trouble maker!

The next morning we had breakfast out on our balcony and then ready to head out for our day by the pool. Rough life, huh?

Julie (another mom that joined our playgroup), was able to stop by as well. So good to see you Julie!

Ah, our life that weekend. Lay by the pool and drink fruity drinks. So nice!

Nice shot of Julie and Tracy.

Here Steph, Holley and I decide to go down the slides they have at the hotel. There are two of them. One was very, VERY slow and one was so fast that I managed to scratch my face when it threw me to the side.

Great fun!

Look at the bathing beauties! We look like we're posing but really we are just playing around after going down the slides. There were three levels to the pools and we decided to swim down all the levels. Thanks to Tracy for being our photographer. (What's with the goofy kid next to me? I don't remember him being there!)

Cooling off at the swim-up bar.

Dinner that night was here and it was delicious! I took the picture this time because I looked like a cooked lobster from a sunburn.

Here is the fried avocado dish that a few of us had. It was AMAZING and I want another right now!!

Ready to play games that night. Luckily Stephanie wore her glasses and Holley was not allowed to get to close to her while holding a pencil.

We stayed up WAY too late playing games and at one point Holley was even fishing Steph's camera card out of her computer with knives. (how come I didn't get that picture???) Someone needs to post that shot.

I've had many inquiries from various spouses about what went on that weekend. All you need to know is this: drinks were drunk, food was consumed, laughter was constant, games were played, sleep was scarce, fun was had, and your wives are refreshed and ready to tackle anything. As for anything that wasn't pictured or said, well you just don't need to know about that, do you!?
Thanks to all of you for taking time to come down. I loved every minute of it! I miss you guys so much and it was great to be able to spend time together.
Let's put our focus to next year at Virginia Beach!!!
5 comments:
How funny that we both posted this at the same time. Although you did beat me by a few hours. You did a great job summing up the weekend and I need to call you about sending me some of those pictures. (Yes, I know they came from my camera, but they didn't all get downloaded to my computer before I deleted them so I am missing some good ones) Thank you so much for organizing all of this. I promise, you're off the hook for next year. One of us on the East coast will take care of all the plans and you can just simply show up and enjoy yourself.
I loved being your roommate....thanks for listening!
Nevermind about sending me the picts. I didn't realize that I could save them directly from your blog. Good to know! Oh, and hurry up with your Easter blog...I want to see more pictures of Ayden in her pretty dress. She's too cute!!!
This makes me want to fly out and see everyone again! I had such a wonderful time that weekend! I was a little hesitant to come because I know I left Whidbey earlier than everyone else and had not formed the close bond that all of you did after I left. However, I have relied heavily on everyones "on-line" advice over the last two years and wanted to know all of you fantastic women better. I am so glad I did...who knew that Holley and I were the perfect roomates, or how different each of us is and yet the same in all the ways that count. Thanks for planning this and giving me the opportunity to make my own memories with you ladies! Thanks to Lynn & Steph for food and transport! Ok, enough said!
I love your home page pic of the kids. Ayden looks so much older and she is soooo cute in her Easter dress.
Enjoyed reading of your special weekend, Funny how you threw in the past (glasses, pencils, etc) I hope you will finally get one flight that you're a little relaxed on; since you've had children to deal with, snowstorms and thunderstorms on your previous flights. Maybe the trip to Iowa will be the one. (wish, wish, please?)
Your post made me chuckle, especially the paragraph directed to the spouses. There is that picture of the fried avocado... What a great weekend! Love the Easter pic of Tate and Ayden!
Post a Comment