Profile for amdywyman

Sunday, August 2, 2009

Whidbey Island Triathlon

To say that I was a little bit worried about this triathlon was an understatement. After the Lake Padden tri, I was seriously considering whether I should be doing this stuff at all. But since I'd already signed up, I was committed whether I liked it or not.

So early Saturday morning we headed out to the Whidbey Island Triathlon. Again, we were all doing this. Us

and the Stellers.
Here we are, seemingly normal people.
But little did you know that underneath these sacks we call clothes,
are superheroes!!! That's right people, the secret superhero group of Whidbey Island. Not sure of our powers yet, but we're working on it.
Ready for our swim, this time they had the women 39 and under go first on the swim and it was great. Because of the hundred degree weather we had earlier in the week the lake water was very warm!
Here are Holley and I in the first transition.
James is out of the water!
Here comes Andy.
This is Andy coming in on the final run, ready to finish.
On this race I was the only one with a finish picture.
Done! Why do I look like I was in pain, well, I was. I had terrible back pain, but overall a pretty good race. I managed to do this race in 2 hours 34 minutes 24 seconds which is 24 minutes faster then I did it last year. Finally! I made my bike goal of averaging 14 mph on the bike, and just squeaked by on my run average. Whoooo, (wipes brow with relief) I did it.
Oddly Holley is the one who got the fewest pictures in this group. What is this with the women getting the short end of the stick here?????

Holley did fantastic, she finished in 2 hours 7 minutes 51 seconds which is an improvement of 25 minutes over last year! Amazing! She also made her goal of averaging 17 mph on the bike and came soooooo close to hitting her running goal. Good job Holley!

The guys you ask? How did they do? Seriously, you really have to ask?

Andy, in his first time doing the Whidbey Island Tri, got second in his age group with a finish time of 1 hour 41 minutes 50 seconds. Way to go Andy! He also seems to have ran the course record on the run, doing it in 21 minutes 40 seconds (3.8 miles). (We did the search, could not find one person who ran it faster, in any of the years!)
Showing off his winner medal.
James came in sixth overall,


and first in his age division with a smokin' time of 1 hour 37 minutes 59 seconds!!! Congrats James! He beat his time from last year by 8 minutes.
Seriously, I don't think James has wiped this smile off of his face.
See! It's stuck on there. He's a little proud, can you tell?

Great job guys!

7 comments:

Holley said...

Finally! A tri where everyone was happy with their results! Way to go Whidbey Superheros! Hee Hee!

Tracy said...

Love your superhero title and "costumes" Great job to everyone! So glad everyone made some improvements and met their goals.

Anonymous said...

Wonderful and timely report of how everyone excelled yesterday, especially with the super hero and other photos to go along with the commentary. Thanks Amber.

Anonymous said...

Our superhero capability is to train and live in a constant state of tiredness and then to wonder if we can fit another race every time we see an open weekend. Thanks for posting Amber! - James

Boagie (Janice) said...

Way to go all!! Go girls on such an improvement from last year. Pretty remarkable :) Love the super hero pictures. Who was your photographer?

Leah said...

Amazing! Great job guys!

Carrie said...

Finally starting to catch up with everyone's entries...great job superheros!!!! You all did great! As usual, I am awed and humbled...and basically depressed that I am so darn lazy!