Profile for amdywyman

Thursday, June 12, 2008

Just one of those days. . .

Ok, maybe more than a day, a couple of days. It started with a hotel reservation and went down hill from there. We are not talking in a catastrophe sense, just enough to make me feel run down and beat and a terrible mother. One of THOSE days.

The hotel reservation should have been easy enough. I needed a reservation for the night before my triathlon at the end of this month. Easy, right? Well when I asked for the special rate (the triathlon coordinators had put together an event rate with the hotel) I was told I was too late to get that rate (triathlon email said differently). I emailed the triathlon coordinators asking what was up, they called the hotel and talked to them and said I wasn't too late and to try making the reservation again. I called the second time and was told the block of rooms put aside for the event were all booked. I emailed the coordinator again informing her of this and she called the hotel again and they told her no, the rooms were not all booked. By this time what should have been a 5-10 minute phone call became this huge hour long process. I then had to call the hotel a third time and speak directly with the group reservationist and he (thankfully) changed my reservation to the group rate. What a pain in the rear, but like I said, nothing huge.

Now of course as I am doing the reservation/email thing with the hotel and tri coordinator, I am also refereeing children, doing laundry, getting dinner ready, and baking (that one is my own fault). Every time I try doing something on the phone, or in a room that does not have direct visual access, I get to listen to my own version of a howler monkey as my son yells at the top of his lungs "MOMMY!" over and over again as he walks around the house looking for me. I want to hide in a closet but I know that the only way to actually stop the howler is to let him know where I am. So I find my son and realize that my daughter is missing. I walk around (doing my own version of the howler) calling for her and find her on the dining room table. On. The. Table.

Now, my son did this a couple times. I told him sternly that it is not ok to do and he stopped. (yes, my son is pretty much like that for the most part) But my daughter has now taken to climbing everything. Any chance she gets she climbs up on the chair and then the table (so now it is important to firmly push in the chairs). She also high centers herself on a chair we have in our bedroom. She climbs up the side and tries to propel herself over the arm but gets her milk belly stuck on it and can't move. One of these times I hope I have the camera available. She climbs the armoire front trying to get up by the tv (this one I think is thanks to her brother). But this morning takes the cake. I hear Tate complain that his sister is eating his cereal. This doesn't make sense because Ayden was done with her breakfast and was running around playing. I walk over to see what was going on and I see that Ayden is up on the table, and yes she is eating Tate's cereal. She had climbed up on another chair, up onto the table and scooted herself over to Tate's bowl so she could eat. Now it might sound like she's not getting enough to eat, but she ate two bowls of cereal herself. TWO!

The other thing she is doing right now is screeching when she wants something or someone is trying to take something from her. It drives me crazy. She is speaking more and more each day but there is some frustration on her part with communicating. So her back-up is the screech, which is earsplitting. I know I am doomed. I just have this feeling (especially with her current climbing abilities) she is going to be as accident prone as I was. For those of who know me, you know my many visits to the hospital, with stitches, broken nose, torn up foot, etc. For those of you who don't, I have a feeling you will be seeing it soon with Ayden.

I hope I'm wrong.

Well I have to go and somehow get my sanity back. I'm envisioning a beach, sun, fruity drinks and nothing to do but read the not-too-engrossing novel I have with me. And there goes the vision, the howler is back and I have to go.

No comments: