Profile for amdywyman

Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Goals

Lately I've been reading about the substances that are put into fast food, how much Americans eat of it, etc. and I've come to decide that it just grosses me out. Now mind you, we don't eat that much fast food. Maybe once or twice a month on average. And I've always thought that a little bit here and there is not going to hurt you (and I still think that), but I've decided to try a different tack. No fast food. None.

Not only do I have to worry about what are in the meals, but the kids toys drive me crazy. All I can think about is how this junk is just heading into landfills.

I may be getting a little obsessed lately but it's all I can think about! And I don't want anyone to think I'm criticizing them about eating fast food or their choices, I'm not! This is a personal choice for me and my family, and I just want to document when I start this little adventure.

I was thinking back to when I was a kid and we didn't eat much fast food at all. Basically we couldn't afford to go out that much. We always packed our lunch from home, even on long trips we took a cooler that had all of our meals in it and if the trip was long enough we always stopped at grocery stores to stock up again. For our meals on the road we stopped at rest stops or parks, which we loved as kids because we always got to play a little before heading back to the car. Now, don't get me wrong, we did eat processed food (just one reason I HATE bologna), but to eat out was a special treat.

Which brings me to my second goal. To eat out less. I haven't a criteria yet for how much 'less' is, but we do it now at least once a week (likely more than that), and it's got to a point where even Ayden knows restaurants when we pass them. (Tracy, remember when I used to joke that I wasn't going to teach my child environmental media reading?) Now (mostly due to Tate) Ayden knows several restaurants in town and always says their name as we pass.

As I start reading a new book (called Animal, Vegetable, Miracle, if anyone is interested), we are going to attempt to buy more locally too. (My new third goal!) I have changed several things that I already buy exclusively local (milk for one), and I will be looking for more.

So again, these are goals for my family, so please don't feel I am getting down on anyone for choosing a different course. I just want to chronicle my efforts as I go through this process.

5 comments:

Boagie (Janice) said...

I am so proud of you!!! Helping your children grow healthy and saving the environment at the same time. I wish I was at your next picnic in the park eating homemade cookies or pie instead of greasy french fries from Mc Donalds (that I love.)

I like the idea buying local also. Do you have a garden in the summer? I love mine and all the canning & freezing that goes with it...tastes so good year round. I just made homemade grape jelly last night for Mike.

Carrie said...

Good for you! I satisfy myself with only allowing one trip to McDonalds a month (this is the only fast food both of them like, mainly for the french fries, and I think moderation is ok, but I really wish I had just stuck to no fast food, I am proud of u).I believe whole-heartedly in greatly limiting processed foods. I actually had Gunner's preschool teacher compliment me on his lunches, she said I wouldn't believe how many parents called snackables lunch every day. I am stressed out reading the labels on those things...ok, I could go on, but I won't.

Tracy said...

Ok...so IDEAS please....that needs to be your next post: What do you pack for lunches that travel well and that the kids will eat? You can only have so much PB&J a week! No, seriously, I would love to learn from you and Carrie...so post away :) PLEASE :)

Oh, and I hope you will be a little lax on your rules when we come visit because I AM CRAVING GUACAMOLE ALFRESCA (SP?).

Steph said...

That's great Amber! I have been trying to cut down on fast food as well. The funny thing is, I hardly ever used to go until I got pregnant with Luke. Then it became an outing I could do with Calvin. Anyways, some ideas for lunches... Yogurt, applesauce, wraps (tortilla or pita) with hummus and veggies, peanut butter and bananas, or laughing cow cheese; think outside the box - plain pasta or ravioli with sauce to dip in, english muffin pizzas. Kids will eat about anything (doesn't have to be traditional lunch food) so get creative. I have a book with fun lunch ideas for kids - I'll have to look through it and let you know what I find. Good luck with this!!

Carrie said...

Steph, I so love the ravioli w/ the sauce on the side idea...& I never thought about bringing a E. Muffin pizza on the road...Gunner loves those. We r a huge fan of laughing cow w/ those Kashi whole grain crackers. We all need to do a post to swap ideas.