Another day driving the kids to school means another day of wondering, "What are they going to talk about?".
Just be aware Holley that I'm going to pick on you just a little bit.
So, as you may or may not have noticed when speaking to Holley, she has a bit of an accent. Think Fargo, but much more mild. Anyway I always joke with her about writing a Wisconsin dictionary so that everyone can understand what is being said. (It reminds me of a joke dictionary my mom had when I was little called "How to speak Southern". It had things like "Urn - I'm going to urn that shirt", etc.) So here are a few "How to speak like Holley"
cou-n't - (this is hard to write these down!!) this should be couldn't. Think of saying couldn't without the ld.
shou-n't - shouldn't - said the same way as couldn't.
bretfist - (one of my faves!) - breakfast
So that is just but a few, but this morning I found out a new one. The boys were chatting in the back (as always) and Grant says to Tate, "Look! There are flegs!"
Tate looks at him and says, "They're called flags."
So I say, "Yes, that is correct. You say flags."
And Grant replies, (it took me so much work not to burst out laughing) "Well my mom changed it. She calls it FLEGS!"
I'm so dying here at this point and I have to pull it together enough to explain to him that his mom is really saying 'flags' it just sort of sounds like she is saying 'flegs'.
"Oh" is Grant's reply.
So now I have a new one to add to the dictionary. Flegs.
Blogging Much!?!
10 years ago



3 comments:
How cute, one child correcting the other. You know, mommies are right, through their child's eyes. (Aren't we lucky to be perfect.) I am glad you can control the vehicle while you're busting a gut....I would love to be in on some of those weekly conversations.
Priceless!
I really wish I could be in the car for these conversations! I never noticed Holley's accent, but I will be listening for it in Corpus now!
Post a Comment