Profile for amdywyman

Thursday, March 12, 2009

My First Attempt. . .

Thursdays are the hardest. We kind of have a long afternoon time. Our Thursdays go a little something like this: We get up and get Tate ready for school which means finishing any homework, packing a snack, getting dressed and eating breakfast. Then Tate gets picked up by Holley and taken to school while Ayden and I run errands or clean up or whatever needs to be done.

Ayden and I then head into pick up Grant and Tate from school at 12:15, and we need to eat lunch before we head off to Tate's swim lesson, after which we can finally head home for naps. This is the day that we usually go out for lunch. It's just easy.

But, with my new goals I couldn't do that. I had to make lunch before I left to run errands and pick up the boys. So I realized right at the time we were ready to head out the door that I hadn't made any sandwiches. What the heck am I going to feed the crew? So here was my improvisation: I grabbed some fruit and crackers from home that I could take into town with me. Right before we got Tate and Grant I went to Safeway and got milk and sandwiches from the deli. We then headed to the park (thankfully it was a beautifully sunny day outside, although a little on the brisk side) where we ate and then I let the kids play for about 10 minutes before heading to Tate's swim lessons.

So I figured I did a so-so job on my first attempt. Next time I would like to make the sandwiches at home (there will be other alternatives that I hope to come up with that will break up the sandwiches, but I'm just getting the hang of this so sandwiches it is) and bring cups with milk in them, although the fruit and crackers went over well.

My other issue, and I've been racking my brain over this, is where to eat if the weather is nasty. We lucked out today, it was sunny and relatively warm (almost 50 degrees!), but I'm not sure how I'm going to take our own food when there is no place to eat it. The only thing I can think of is to eat it in the car. I may give myself a break once a month and take the kids out to eat. We'll see how much I get in the swing of things.

Anyway, just a little update on how this is going in my first week. I'm hoping to get more creative as I go along, and any ideas would be appreciated!

2 comments:

Boagie (Janice) said...

Way to go healthy, go green , get fit mom of three. Can't wait to hear about the homemade grape jelly & peanut butter sandwiches.
Let me know what you come up with for shelter on a rainy day...being from a small town I am clueless, but good luck.

Carrie said...

Good job! I have to pack Gunner's lunch for school 3 days a week and I always pack it the night b-4 while I am preparing dinner. If I am in a rush he will get a mish-mosh of stuff; i.e. kashi granola bar or Kashi crackers & cheese instead of a sandwich. Then I throw in fruit, yogurt (I freeze it so it thaws by lunch) & cut veggies w/ ranch dressing. I am always looking for other sandwich alternatives if you come up w/ any!