Profile for amdywyman

Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Conversations

The other day Tate and I had a couple of conversations, moments apart that went a little like this:

Tate: "Mom, what happened to the flowers?" (I had a vase of flowers on the table)

Me: "I threw them away because they died."

T: "Why did they die?"

Me: "Well, because they were cut and cut flowers don't live as long as the flowers that are still in the ground."

T: "Mom, why do things die?"

Me: "Ummm. Well, because every thing has a life span, and once everything has lived it's life span, then it dies."

T: "Mom, are we going to die?"

Me: "Hmmm. Ummm. Yes. Someday we are going to die."

T: "Mom, why do we have to die?"

Me: (Now I am dying from this conversation) "Just like plants and other animals, we have a life span too."

T: "Mom! We are going to die!" (This statement was made with a scrunched up nose, not scared but more just reassuring himself that this was indeed true.)

Thankfully after this statement, he was done with this conversation. Why couldn't I get asked about where babies come from???

Just a few minutes later we had this little gem:

Me: "Don't touch this, it's hot." (I had just taken a dish out of the oven.)

Tate: "Why mom?"

Me: "Why what?"

Tate: "Why did you say 'don't touch this'?"

Me: "Because I told you: it's hot."

T: "Why is it hot?"

Me: "Because I just took it out of the oven."

T: "Why did you take it out of the oven?"

Me: "Because it was finished cooking."

T: "Why is it finished cooking?" (Is he serious?)

Me: "Because it only needed to cook for a certain time and it was done."

T: "Why did it only need a certain time to cook?" (Oh. MY. GOD this is painful)

Me: "Because the recipe said to cook it for 30 minutes and now it's done."

T: "Why did the recipe say to cook it for 30 minutes?" (Shoot me. Shoot me now.)

Me: "Because that is when the dish is completely cooked through."

T: "Why . . ."

Me: "Tate, do you want to go outside?"

T: "Yeah!!"

Me: Sigh. Thankfully he went with that distraction instead of asking me why he should go outside.

Wow, I love this stage, but seriously, that was probably one of the most painful conversations I have had with him. Bring on the conversations about sex, drugs and death.

5 comments:

Leah said...

hahaha, Ethan is all about the "why's". Drives me nuts! We too have grazed the death topic, but luckily he has yet to bring it around to us. It's amazing how those conversations seem to come out of nowhere!

Carrie said...

Thanks for the laugh...too funny! Excellent use of distraction!

We found a dead baby possum in our yard and I told him that it was sleeping...this is what a coward I am. So he kept looking outside and saying "why is the possum still sleeping Mommy?". Wonder how long I can hold out on the death conversation....

Boagie (Janice) said...

Isn't it great that those little minds want to know SO much?!?!

Have a great time at Tate's 4th Birthday party. Wish I could be there. Tell Tate Happy Birthday from Boagie.

Looking at your map below. I can't believe you & the family haven't made a trip to my house, so you could mark Iowa on the map! (I can't wait till this is a possibility for you)

Steph said...

Oh, I hate those "Why" conversations. What can you do?

Tracy said...

But, WHY was it a painful conversation....and WHY did you say: shoot me now....and why is the sky blue? ;-0

We've had the death conversation many times and I guess based on the idea that the oldest person dies first Mikie is convinced that this will be the order: Grandpa will die first, then Boagie, then Daddy, then Mommy, then "I", then Zchary.

Oh, and get some more fish. That'll stir that conversation up every other day or so. LOL!