Profile for amdywyman

Friday, February 12, 2010

My Daughter and her 'eyeball'

Ayden has a ball that has an eye on it. Therefore it has become the 'eyeball' in our house. She got it from the doctor's office on some visit, likely her last check up and it has been her favorite ever since. So having this ball in our possession has prompted some of the best lines we have ever uttered. To list a few:

"If you can't play nice, I'm going to take your eyeball away!"

"Ayden won't share her eyeball!"

"Tate, please don't touch my eyeball. I don't like it when you do that."

"I'm going to tell people not to touch my eyeball. It's my favorite."

"Put your eyeball away and come eat dinner."

"Mommy!! Where is my eyeball?! I can't find it! I want my eyeball!"

As you can imagine, when we are out in public these nice sayings turn a few heads. Then the other day topped it off. We were driving home from a friend's house when Ayden was complaining about forgetting a toy and I assured her that all that she brought to her friend's house was a baby and her ball. Her reply to me (her obviously dimwit mother):

"Mom, it's an eyeball.

"Yes, I know."

"But you just said ball."

"Ok?"

(pause) It has an eye on it. (pause) And it's a ball. It's an eyeball." (as in, do I have to explain everything to you?)

Then the last night we were driving home from town when we passed Andy getting gas in his truck and Tate saw him. Tate then asked why Daddy always had to get gas and I explained as the gas was used, the truck then had to be refilled. Tate replied, "We use ALL the gas!" Not wanting him to think that consumption of gas was the best thing ever I started explaining to him that we don't want to use all the gas, that oil was a finite resource (and yes, I used those exact words) and we needed to be conservative about it and find alternative sources of fuel when my daughter piped up from the back seat.

"Mom, are you talking to yourself?"

"What? No, of course I'm not talking to myself. I'm talking to Tate. And to you!"

"No, you're not talking to me!"

"Yes, I'm talking to both of you! I'm trying to explain something to you both."

"No mom, you are NOT talking me!"

I thought they were supposed to be teenagers before they thought I was this ridiculous.

4 comments:

Boagie (Janice) said...

Isn't it funny how they get attached to something and yes some of the comment on the eyeball were quite funny and concerning.

Loved the fuel conversation and not talking to them. That was priceless :)

Tracy said...

I'm getting a good chuckle over ths one! You MUST have been talking to yourself with all those fancy words ;~)

Boagie (Janice) said...

I keep thinking of this eyeball ball and I know what I'm going to try to find her next...a set of chattering teeth. Won't that be a funny conversation in the store then. ha,ha

Carrie said...

That was a funny post...thanks! Love the fuel conversation too...every once in a while I find myself trying to explain something to them only to realize, not only do they not understand, but if they did, they probably wouldn't care! Thanks for the laugh!