Profile for amdywyman

Friday, February 12, 2010

Rant

Driving to town today I had to get behind someone that drove 10 mph UNDER the speed limit. I mean seriously, 10 mph under? Are you THAT unobservant that you don't notice the posted speed limit of 50 and realize that you are driving 40????? How hard is that? And getting stuck behind these people when there is NO WHERE TO TURN TO GET AWAY is even worse! I can't stand it!

Really in these situations I fantasize about speeding around them, cutting them off and stopping, pulling them out of the car by the nostrils, throwing them on the ground and jumping (or maybe just sit on them based on my large size? Keep reading, it will make sense) on them until they yell uncle . Or at least until they can correctly answer the question "what is the speed limit on this road?"

Now, you may be able to tell I have some pent up aggression going here, and I believe it directly stems from my anxiety about my belly. I have apparently grown to such proportions that I have acquired a gravitational pull. Sucked into my orbit are my two children whose want to get closer to me is in direct relation to my growth. Most of the time they orbit me nicely, with not much fuss but when collisions happen then the fun really starts. Also pulled into my orbit are random @#$#&# people (I mean wonderful, great people) and their comments:

"Hey, I lost my basketball, do you know where it might be?"

"Oh, you must be due any day now! How exciting!"

"You must be at least 8 months along. When are you due?"

"Good thing you don't have much longer to go, you're big!" (no, they did not ask me when my due date was first. They just assumed.)

This last weekend, we were in an elevator and a man was still in the doorway and not realizing that he was the cause of the doors not closing. A woman from the back said to him, "Sir, I think you need to step in farther so that the doors can close." My husband piped up, "Honey, maybe it's your belly." (Two things: 1) no, it was NOT my belly. 2) the elevator was PACKED with people) Thanks dear.

And if I could take a picture of all the people and their expressions when I tell them I'm not due until May, it would make a great photo montage. People wince. Wince, I tell you! I'm not kidding! Ask Tracy, she saw it first hand. It's getting to the point that I don't want to really go out in public anymore. I'm just a little tired of fending off all the comments.

8 comments:

Shaila Lou said...

You need to go read Leisha's post. The most current one she posted a picture of her. Then Richard posted a clip from a TV show...Scrubs, (I think)! At least you still have your sense of humor! But seriously, you and Leisha are in the same boat! (Belly boat? Oh, sorry! I couldn't resist!) Love ya!

Marion said...

The above comment is NOT from Shaila. She had signed in and not signed out! The above comment is from me!!

Leisha said...

I'm so glad I have a Bullet Belly Buddy! Good luck posting a picture, it took me forever to get the nerves to do it. I hate going out in public as well! I feel like I should join the freak show when I do go out. Maybe I should grow a beard as well...

Boagie (Janice) said...

I would just politely reply "At least I'm going to have something to show for my added weight in a few months , what's your excuse?" I've got a friend here in Sigourney and she gets rude comments all the time also...just want to make those people eat their words.

Just keep telling yourself you are taking good care of yourself and the baby by exercising so much. More than most mother-to-be's.

I like your baby belly. You can't even tell your pregnant from the behind.

Tracy said...

I didn't believe you until I saw it....people actually do wince! I think you look great and know that you will have a heathly baby in just a few months.

Steph said...

Oh, Amber, so sorry to hear about those comments. It's unbelievable how rude people can be. Next time just say, "What baby? I'm not pregnant." Or tell them it's not a baby, it's a tumor. Hey, if they are bold enough to make comments in the first place... You need to post a picture so we can all see. It can't really be that bad!

Leah said...

Amber, how rude! I can tell you, that after carrying 2 almost 10 lb babies full term (Ethan was a week over) I was not s small pregnant girl!! Even my doctor at the end was begging to induce me because I was so big. You are doing so wonderful, and so inspiring all the running you did for so much of this pregnancy. People are ignorant and it's unfortunate, but I vote for the tumor response Steph suggested. If it will help, I'm gonna repost my preggo pics for you!

Carrie said...

YES...the tumour response would definitely be perfect! Girl, you are a true inspiration w/ how well you take care of your health by eating well and exercising...I wish I had 1/2 your energy when I am not preggers! Another possible comment "I will lose this belly in a couple months, but you will still be dumb". By the way, nothing bothers me more than people driving under the speed limit, I am convinced this is why my kids have no patience, they learn that bad trait from me in the car! Gunner has actually yelled at cars "hey car that light is green, that means go!"