Profile for amdywyman

Tuesday, January 6, 2009

The Playset

We decided that we would get our kids a very big present for Christmas. One that would NOT be in the house, so I wouldn't have to figure out where to put it. That is how the playset idea came about. That is the big project I have had for a month or two. We have had it in our garage and after I inventoried the pieces I have been putting together parts of it in the garage when I had time. So the other day the Stellers came over to help us get it out to the yard and put it all together. We did pretty well considering how cold it was outside, having 3 kids running around us and what little daylight we had. Holley and James were forced to deal with us for about 12 hours that day. We didn't quite finish but we are close.

We had to remove two trees from our yard (small and not healthy ones, which is why I don't feel bad about it). We thought the stump removal was going to be difficult but because the trees weren't that healthy the stumps came out of the ground very easily.

Here the base of the set is on it's side while we put on the 'legs'.

The lumber we had remaining at the time.
One stump removed!
This is the second stump and the 'healthier' of the two so it was slightly more difficult but nothing that we had to spend a lot of time over.
Yeah!! It's upright!
Progress! We are working on the swingset portion here.

Swings are done and so is the rock wall at the back. Andy is drilling holes for the tire swing that goes under the base.
Holley climbing the rock wall.
As you can see in this next picture it has gotten pretty dark outside. We only had until about 4 before it started really getting dark although we pushed it until almost 5. We got the marjority of it together and the bridge portion started. Instead of having a tarp roof Holley and James are going to make us a roof with shingles. It's very handy having two engineers as friends with left over barn construction material.
Well this is it so far. I will show updated pictures of the completed set when we get it finished. I am hoping for some decent weather soon.

Thanks especially to Holley and James who froze themselves helping us put together this set in the winter time instead of summer (when most people do it, unlike me).

3 comments:

Carrie said...

Holley and James are some good friends, I would have been inside the doorway with a hot cup of coffee giving instructions.."A little to the right..no, no over there". Can't wait to see you at Tracy's house by the way, it looks like we will be at Mikie's party too!

Boagie (Janice) said...

What a great present and you are so lucky to have such GREAT friends. I'm sure those 3 kids will have lots of fun on it.

Tracy said...

It's good that they were able to return the favor of erecting a wooden structure. Can't wait to come play on it in May!