Profile for amdywyman

Monday, September 15, 2008

Fourth Tri

I kind of can't believe it but this last Saturday Holley and I completed our fourth triathlon. Amazing.

This one was at Flowing Lake in Snohomish, WA. (near Everett) The number of people that were going to be around for this tri changed constantly. First it was going to be just Holley and I, then Holley, Heidi and I, then Heidi couldn't make it but my cousin wanted to do it until she had problems with kidney stones and ended up in the hospital. Next year, Melissa!!! (she is doing well, by the way) Then it was just going to be Holley and I again, but at the last minute James and Andy decided to drive down with the kids. (They got up before six in the morning with all the kids to drive down to see us compete. We've got great husbands!!)

I got sick this last week (cold, sore throat) and didn't feel good, and both Holley and I were exhausted the morning of the tri, not wanting to get out of bed. But we persevered and got ourselves going. I think I was finally ready to do the triathlon about a minute before my wave started (thank goodness!!). I felt ok (although a little hard to breath when I wanted to cough all the time), but I did pretty good. I passed quite a few people on my swim and my bike, (it will be a long time coming before I can actually pass people on the run), and I tried to push myself.

The triathlon was a 400 meter swim, my time was 9 minutes 29 seconds, the bike was 13.5 miles and I did it in 1 hour 5 minutes 35 seconds and the run was 1.9 miles and I did it in 24 minutes 26 seconds. The run was the fastest time I have done in any race, my pace was just under 13 minute miles.

Here I am being petted by the boys. They think the wetsuits feel a little funny so they kept rubbing my leg.
Here I am right before my wave started. It was a nice day, the mist was rising off of the water which made it look really cool.


Here I am coming out of the swim, I even managed to beat a few people who were in the wave just before me that started five minutes earlier.
This is transition 1 where I had to peel off my wetsuit, and put on my socks, shoes, helmet, sunglasses, shirt, and get my bike. Did it in 1 minute 49 seconds. My goal was 1 minute 30 seconds. Still more work to do.

Coming in on my bike, which was a blast. It had lots of twists and turns and ups and downs and the scenery was amazing. We saw horses and sheep and mountains and one dog decided to run with us for a while. It was a great time.
Here I am at the finish! My time was actually what I posted above because my swim wave started 15 minutes past when the first wave started.


What a great race! We had a great time, and if she ever gets around to it, read Holley's blog about her part of the triathlon because she did AMAZING!!! I'm giving her three days to post it and then I will tell how she did. This is a warning Holley!!!

6 comments:

Tracy said...

Great job! It's wonderful that you set goals for yourself and work so hard to achieve them. Very proud of you!

Marion said...

You're amazing! I could never do it! Nor would I want to! I'd drown! I know it must give a lot of satisfaction to complete something like this! I'm sure that's what keeps you doing it! Keep up the great work!

Steph said...

I wish I had someone like you gals to train and compete in races with. Keep it up!!

Boagie (Janice) said...

Great job on another race, can't believe you've entered 4 already this year. What an athlete. I am still impressed that you can train, raise two kids, help hubbby with his buisness, cook such awesome food and still have the strength and time to enter. (You are totally amazing) I would have wanted to stop the bike and enjoy all the animals and scenery rather than racing to the finish. Keep up the good work! And if you ever give out your secret on such ambition and achievments let me know.

Carrie said...

You guys r amazing...how you prepare for races while still being amazing Moms is totally inspiring...I am so proud of you!

Shaila Lou said...

Amber, I just had to say how awesome I think you are! Congrats on doing such a great job. I would love to do one, but I would probably drown. But the running and biking part is great!!