Profile for amdywyman

Monday, September 29, 2008

In an attempt to go green. . .

Our most recent book club book, "The World Without Us" (see book club books to the right for the link) discussed in depth about our impact on the world. Two things really stood out for me in this book (although there was a lot of good information).

One was the North Pacific Gyre, which is essentially a large swirling mass of garbage in the middle of the ocean. And there is not only one, but several of these around the world. Pictures and more info.

The second is that plastic doesn't break down but just erodes into smaller and smaller pieces, small enough that animals in the ocean are eating a lot of it because it is too small to even see. Also facial washes are putting little plastic beads (think of those 'scrubbers' you may have in your face wash) in their products, which then goes down the drain and can end up in our oceans adding to the plastic and garbage already there.

So, in attempt to go green and help our earth I am changing these things in my life. I am starting out slowly and trying to change just a few things at a time:

I am replacing household cleaners with earth friendly (and now child friendly!) as my old ones run out.
I go shopping with reusable bags (grocery and other stores). Which I LOVE. You use so few bags and have to carry a lot less!
I have changed Ayden to wearing g diapers. A little bit of a learning curve, but I am loving them. (and she looks so cute running around in them)
I bought a hybrid car. (I know this is not a perfect solution, nor is it a choice for everyone, but I feel like any push in that direction is a good thing)
I am teaching my kids about turning off the lights and electronics when not being used.
Ummm, there might be more, but I can't remember them right now.


So now I need more ideas, does anyone have any good ideas based on what they do in their own home??

3 comments:

Tracy said...

G diapers? Where'd hear about these? I looked at them online...I must talk to you more about them. Perhaps they would be better to use with Zach since they fasten in back. I think it's great that you are doing so much and trying to change to help the enviornment. You know what would really help....rationing your paper towel usage! Boagie can give you some pointers! HA HA HA HA HA HA!!!!! Think of all the trees you would save. ;)

Boagie (Janice) said...

Yes the paper towel idea would work great. I could send you some rags from my rag drawer. Looking at movie night cookie baking...how about using tupperwares baking sheet instead of cooking papers (they are awesome to bake with, ask Tracy) I too use the reusable bags to shop with (if I don't forget to carry them into the store) Mine are a bright green (guess why?). The diapers are cute.

Carrie said...

I will look into G diapers..and I had no idea the scrubbers were plastic...thanks! We already do everything else you mentioned; using power strips for electronics makes it easier to turn everything off. We switch all lightbulbs as they burn out to energy efficient, we keep our thermostat 2-4 higher/lower than we used to, we change filters in our house frequently, resealed our windows and are looking into a whole house fan to decrease A/C usage and this water heater that heats up the water as you need it. Our plan is to try building our cabin up near the Blue Ridge as green as we can afford when the time comes, so we will probably try it out there first! I am jealous you have a hybrid!