Profile for amdywyman

Friday, December 5, 2008

A few of my favorite websites. . .

Remembering Leah's favorite things blog a while back I wanted to share some of my favorite websites. I hope you can find something in here that you like too!

Google: This has so many wonderful applications that I could go on, and on, and on. . .but I won't. You're welcome. The ones I use the most are the search engine (most people know about that), the calendar (so, so nice!), the video upload (just found it!), online purchasing (works great but more people take paypal), maps (did you know it has a street view that has actual pictures of the place you are trying to go to? and you can do a virtual 360?), and you can make your own websites (this is how I created my own Survivor and Amazing Race websites for those who are in the pool, look under 'sites').

Two biggies that I use a lot: Google calendar and (now) the video upload. The calendar is great you can color code each calendar and share the calendar with anyone so that they can see your schedule. (This works out great between Holley and I because we can easily see when family is at each others houses, plan little trips, and just generally remember stuff). I have a calendar for us, for Andy's office and Holley's calendar shows up on ours. I could make a separate calendar for each person in our family if I wanted to. (There is another alternative that I just found that is similar to Google calendar that has one feature that may sway me to change, haven't quite decided yet. It's www.cozi.com and this calendar (among many other things) has a feature that lets you write lists on there, and while that's not new, the ability to have that list texted to your PHONE if you should forget it at home is. That's right, if you put your shopping list on the site and you realize as you just get to the grocery store that you forgot your entire list at home, you can call cozi and they will text the list to your phone. Cool, huh? I just haven't figured out if I will remember to put the list on the computer. Still thinking about it. But check it out if you are interested.)
The video upload I just found the other night. Tracy and I were commenting on the fact that if a video is over a minute it seems unable to load to blogger. Well my first thought was that you could upload your video to a site (i.e. youtube) as long as they had a privacy code and you didn't have to show your video to everyone in existence, and then you could put a link on your blog. Tracy did Dropshots, which works great, but I didn't want to pay each month to upload videos, so I found Google video that I can upload videos, keep them private and not pay for anything. And instead of putting a link on your site you can embed the video directly on your blog. Another plus: it downloads faster than on the blog itself.

StumbleUpon: This I found while reading comments on a website. It allows you to stumble through the web. You put in your interests from a long list and then it randomly picks out sites from the web that might be interesting to you. If one pops up that you like you push the thumbs up "I like it" button and it saves the sites in your favorites and on your bookmarks. If one pops up that you don't like you push the "thumbs down" button and it will never pop up again. Another great thing about it is that when you find a website you like and think someone might like it too, then you can send it to them with a comment and one click! It's awesome. Holley and I have used this to send each other websites instead of having to open up your email and copy and paste. If you do download it please find me so I can be your friend on there! I love this feature! (BTW, it loads and is always on your toolbar and you can even pick a particular topic to stumble though, and another BTW, it's extremely addicting!)

Pioneer Woman: This is a great website for recipes, giveaways, photography and hilarious, hilarious blogs. Seriously, check it out. I make her maple cinnamon rolls and they are the BEST! (and surprisingly easy to make)

Calorie Count Plus: This is a great site for keeping track of calories, weight lost (or gained with the holidays :(, but one of the best is that you can input a recipe and it will tell you the nutritional facts.

Does anyone have any favorites out there that I should check out? Let me know!

2 comments:

Leah said...

While I'm having trouble thinking of some of my favorite sites, I did want to throw another great Google product out there...Picasa! It's what I use to organize, edit, and upload all my pictures and videos. It's so easy to use it's ridiculous. The "I'm Feeling Lucky" button automatically adjusts color and contrast in a picture and almost always looks good enough to not need more editing. So fast and did I mention EASY? Just as I would expect from Google...

Leah said...

Oh, and I should mention Google's web browser is pretty awesome too, Chrome. I prefer it over IE and Firefox, though there have been a couple times that sites haven't worked correctly for me on Chrome.