Profile for amdywyman

Wednesday, December 3, 2008

Seattle Marathon

Ok, so I know I left it open to what James was going to do about the marathon, so I'll let you know that James did run the marathon. And that's all I'm going to tell you about that. Look to Holley's blog if you want to know more. (There, I did my job of putting pressure on her to get it done)

I will, however, tell you all about how Andy did in the race. Here the guys are about 45 minutes before the marathon. Don't they look ready and excited?

We made signs the night before and the one Tate is holding here says Boston or Bust.

And here they are about a mile into the race, with a long, long, long, LONG, way to go!
We drove to two different spots to see them during the race. The DOT closed down the I-90 express lanes so that the runners could run on the interstate. As we were driving to our first destination we saw them. This is my finger excitedly pointing at them and also blocking them. Nice, huh?
On Mercer Island there is a little park with a path that goes over the I-90 bridge. We walked down a portion of the path so that we could see the guys run by.
We stood down there by that light.
And caught them running across the bridge.
After we saw them on the bridge we headed to the halfway point which was at Seward park. We made it just in time to see them. We realized at this point that they were no longer together and Andy had taken the lead.
Here is Andy at the halfway point, running quite fast!
We saw the guys in those two places and then headed straight to the finish line. Here is Andy finishing the race.

Andy ran a great race! His time was 3 hours, 3 minutes, 14 seconds which works out to be 6 minutes 59 seconds per mile! Amazing, isn't it? He came in 46th place overall out of 2,135 runners and 14th place in his age group out of 219 runners. He qualified for the Boston Marathon in 2010! Boston here we come!

2 comments:

Tracy said...

Let us know the date for Boston...we'll be there cheering him on, too! That's so exciting! Way to go, Andy. Looks like a typical drizzly day. Was it cold?

Boagie (Janice) said...

Way to go Andy! I am so impressed with your achievment. Did you run cross country in high school?Thanks for the great pics Amber (even the finger was good..we still got the idea.) Not all runners had their wives or children to cheer them on. Loved the songs. You'll have to teach me in January how to add this if I haven't figured it out.